HISTORY OF THE FACULTY OF LAW
The Faculty of Law, Umaru Musa Yar’adua University, Katsina, came into being in April, 2011. It is one of the three Faculties (the others being Faculty of Medicine and Faculty of Social and Management Sciences) approved for establishment by the Umaru Musa Yar’adua University Senate at its 28th meeting held on 19th April, 2011.
However, full academic activities in the Faculty commenced from the 2013/2014 academic session after securing the concurrent approvals of the National University Commission and Council of Legal Education. The Faculty currently operates at its temporary site located within the premises of Hassan Usman Katsina Polytechnic, Katsina.
PHILOSOPHY OF THE LL.B (CIVIL LAW) PROGRAMME
The philosophy of the LL.B (Civil Law) programme offered by the Faculty is to impart knowledge and learning in LL.B to all persons of diverse background without distinction on grounds of race, religious or political beliefs in order to meet the manpower needs of the nation.
OBJECTIVES FOR THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE PROGRAMME
The objectives for the establishment of the programme include the following:
- To generally provide a Professional Degree whose graduates would pursue career as:
- To produce law graduates with a broad and comprehensive background in law to engage in a wide variety of Professional Services to the society both nationally and internationally;
- To produce Law graduates who would be called to the Nigerian Bar and practice Legal Profession not only in Nigeria but also, abroad;
- Private Legal Practitioners.
- Counsel in Federal or State Ministry of Justice.
- Administrative Officers in Government Ministries.
- Foreign Affairs Officers.
- Legal Advisers in Governmental Parastatals or Private Corporations.
- Company Secretaries.
- Administrative/Legal Officers in Commercial or Industrial Enterprises.
- Legal or Administrative Work in International Organization.
- Justices in both Lower and Higher Bench.
- Candidates for Post-Graduate Courses Leading to Specialization in certain areas of Law.
The Faculty publishes a Law Journal tagged “Umaru Musa Yar’adua University Law Journal”. It is an annual publication of scholarly and well researched articles written by academics from various Nigerian Universities. The Maiden Edition of the Journal cited as Umaru Musa Yar’adua University Law Journal UMYU LJ Vol. I No. 1 was recently published in February 2015.
At present the Faculty has only two Departments namely:
- Department of Public and Private Law.
- Department of Islamic Law.